Tartu City of Literature Office announces the first 2019 call for applications of Tartu City of Literature International Residency Program for writers and translators.
The residency period in April-May 2019. The deadline for applications is February 25th 2019. The results will be announced by March 4th the latest.
Tartu is the second largest town of Estonia, but is widely considered its intellectual capital – vitally significant in developing the educational system, culture, science and literature in the Estonian language. In 2015 Tartu was designated UNESCO City of Literature which has further enhanced the vibrant literary scene. Tartu City of Literature residency program aims to increase international exchange and communication, contribute to the mobility of writers and translators, offer a creative and inspiring environment, and provide writers an opportunity to introduce their work to the Estonian readers. The program is open to all non-Estonian resident writers and translators (translating from Estonian to other languages) from across the world who meet the criteria described below.The residency program is coordinated by the Estonian Literary Society in cooperation with Tartu Department of the Estonian Writers Union and in partnership with various other literary institutions.
For more background infotmation read an interview about Tartu residency program in the online magazine Estonian World:
What we offer:
• 2-month stay at the house of the former Karl Ristikivi Museum. Karl Ristikivi (1912–1977) was a renowned Estonian writer whose works are considered among the core texts of the 20th century Estonian prose.The house, managed by Karl Ristikivi Society, was his last residence in Estonia before exile in Sweden since 1943. The historical atmosphere of the apartment has been preserved but all modern facilities are available. The gas-heated apartment is on the first floor of the two-story house in a quiet residencial district not far from the city centre.
• A scholarship of 600 euros per month
• Compensation of travel costs to and from Tartu up to 350 euros
• An opportunity to get engaged in the cultural scene of Tartu, to perform at different venues and visit other cities as well.
• An opportunity to perform, among other events, at Tartu International Literature Festival Prima Vista taking place May 8th-11th.
• A contact person who is responsible for making arrangements for performances, meetings and tours and helps to make engage in the local literary life
Required documents to be sent by February 25th to the address firstname.lastname@example.org
• Application form, AVAILABLE HERE
• Fragment of a published text (in Estonian or English) or a fragment of a published translation (from Estonian into another language)
• Upper intermediate level of spoken English.
• At least one published book (fiction or non-fiction), screenplay, theatre script or translation from Estonian into another language by the applicant.
• Interest in Estonian culture and literature.
• Readiness to participate in the local literary life, including events, meetings, interviews, festivals.
• Literary work during the residency.
Estonian Literary Society/Tartu UNESCO City of Literature focal point