Tartu City of Literature Office is delighted to announce the call for applications for the first Tartu City Of Literature International Residency Program for writers and translators.
The residency period in 2017 is two months, October–November. One applicant will be selected.
The deadline for applications is August 10th 2017. The results will be announced by September 1st the latest.
Tartu is the second largest town of Estonia, but is widely considered its intellectual capital – vitally significant in developing the educational system, culture, science and literature in the Estonian language. In 2015 Tartu was designated UNESCO City of Literature which has further enhanced the vibrant literary scene. Tartu City of Literature residency program aims to increase international exchange and communication, contribute to the mobility of writers and translators, offer a creative and inspiring environment, and provide writers an opportunity to introduce their work to the Estonian readers. The programme is open to all writers and translators (translating from Estonian to other languages) from across the world, who meet the criteria described below.The residency program is coordinated by the Estonian Literary Society in cooperation with Tartu Department of the Estonian Writers Union and in partnership with various other literary institutions.
What we offer:
• 2-month stay at the house of the former Karl Ristikivi Museum. Karl Ristikivi (1912–1977) was a renowned Estonian writer whose works are considered among the core texts of the 20th century Estonian prose.The house, managed by Karl Ristikivi Society, was his last residence in Estonia before exile in Sweden since 1943.
• A scholarship of 600 euros per month
• Compensation of travel costs to and from Tartu up to 350 euros
• An opportunity to visit places and perform at venues in other cities
• A contact person who is responsible for making arrangements for performances, meetings and tours and helps to make engage in the local literary life
Required documents to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 10th:
• Application form, AVAILABLE HERE
• Fragment of a published text (in Estonian or English) or a fragment of a published translation (from Estonian into another language)
• Upper intermediate level of spoken English.
• At least one published book (fiction or non-fiction), screenplay, theatre script or translation from Estonian into another language by the applicant.
• Interest in Estonian culture and literature.
• Readiness to participate in the local literary life, including events, meetings, interviews, festivals.
• Literary work during the residency.
Estonian Literary Society/Tartu UNESCO City of Literature focal point