Launched in 2017, Tartu City of Literature International Residency Program is for writers and translators (translating from Estonian to other languages) from across the world, who meet the criteria. Since 2018 there are open calls twice a year - in spring and in autumn.
The calls for applications are annouunced respectively in February and July. The program offers a 2-month stay at the house of the former Karl Ristikivi Museum, a scholarship of 600 euros per month, compensation of travel costs to and from Tartu up to 350 euros, an opportunity to visit places and perform at venues in other cities and a contact person who is responsible for making arrangements for performances, meetings and tours and helps to make engage in the local literary scene. In spring the resident is invited to participate and perform at Tartu International Literary Festival Prima Vista; in autum the central partner festival of the program is the Interdisciplinary Festival Crazy Tartu.
Criteria for applying:
• Upper intermediate level of spoken English.
• At least one published book (fiction or non-fiction), screenplay, theatre script or translation from Estonian into another language by the applicant.
• Interest in Estonian culture and literature.
• Readiness to participate in the local literary life, including events, meetings, interviews, festivals.
• Literary work during the residency.
The first call for 2019 (residency period April-May) is now open. the deadline for sending the applications is February 25th. Additional information available HERE.
Read an interview about Tartu residency program in the online magazine Estonian World:
Estonian Literary Society/Tartu UNESCO City of Literature focal point